We’ve mentioned that one of the biggest mistakes we see warehouses make is ignoring the seemingly “minor” housekeeping that needs to be done around their warehouse equipment. These small, overlooked tasks can add up to big issues in your warehouse. If you think organization is one of the areas that needs improvement in your own warehouse, the DAK Equipment & Engineering team has some tips that can help. These tips are practical ways you can keep your warehouse equipment cleaner and more organized for a more efficient warehouse environment.
Put These Tips into Practice in Your Warehouse
- Make sure you are using the right warehouse equipment. Using the right pallet shelving is key; determine whether you need cantilever racking, double deep pallet racking, drive in pallet racking, gravity flow racks or other equipment for your warehouse. If you don’t have the right equipment for your space and your inventory, it’s time to invest in something new.
- Create designated spaces within your warehouse and label them. Keeping areas defined and separate can help keep them clutter-free and focus your team on their tasks. It also helps those areas run more efficiently and stay organized. Make sure these areas don’t mingle unless necessary to avoid errors.
- Label, label, label. There should be a space for everything in your warehouse and every space should be labeled. Make labeled legible and keep them updated. This will help things get back to their proper places and cut down on error rates in your pick line.
- Complete daily cleaning tasks. It might not be glamorous, but it has to be done. Ensure that daily tasks such as sweeping aisles, cleaning carton racks, and maintaining the conveyor belts & other equipment are completed. Small measures go a long way over the course of a year.
- Organize shelving based on demand. Place items that are in-demand closer to your pick line so you cut down on processing time. It’s also a good way to address organization issues within the warehouse on a more frequent basis.
While some of these tips are small items (like daily sweeping) and other might require more time (organizing based on demand), they are all manageable projects that you can take on within the first month of the new year. That means you’ll be able to start the year off with a more organized, cleaner warehouse than you had in 2016, which sets you up for success for the rest of the year.
If you have questions about how to implement any of these changes or if you need to upgrade your warehouse equipment, that’s where the DAK Equipment & Engineering team can help. Our team has assisted hundreds of warehouses across the United States with their warehousing needs, including the optimization of both their equipment and their systems. We can do that for you, too.
Give us a call or contact us through our website to get started. Our team will find the solutions that you need and implement them for you. Let’s make your warehouse better than ever this year.